Hi everyone! TGIF to those of you on normal schedules =). If you missed it last week, I had a “blogging” version of this post, where I gave some shout outs to those of you who have been so supportive these past months!
On another topic, the buzz around work is that there is a huge snow storm predicted for next week. I remember hearing about it a while ago as it’s close to my mom’s birthday. I am so over this snow! I remember how excited I used to get, back when I could get a snow day, college classes were canceled, etc. Oh how I long for those days, when I didn’t have to drive in it! In any case, I don’t put much stock into these predictions, especially when it’s over a week away. Hopefully nothing will come of it.
Things I’m being grateful for this week and last:
- Living so close to work, in regard to the snow. Since I live only five minutes away, and our workplace never closes (even in a state of emergency), I’m pretty much expected to get in. It makes sense, so I have no qualms with it. I’m just grateful I live so close that it’s not a treacherous drive. Getting home one day in the snow took me a half hour, but it took R an hour and a half as he normally has a 15 minute commute. My coworker, who lives maybe 20 minutes away, encountered 1.5 hour traffic getting in with only slush on the highway!
- Random acts of kindness. A woman came into our job a few days ago with Dunkin Donuts coffee and donuts! It’s so nice when people show their appreciation. Over the holidays, someone who used to work here a long, long time ago bought us a huge box of chocolates (which were gone in two and a half days). And I’m continuously grateful for all the awesome people in our community that donate to the animals (I work in a shelter). So thoughtful!
- My library system. This might seem counter to what I wrote about on Monday, but without the extensive system our library has, I wouldn’t be able to read half the books I’d like to. County wide, all the libraries connect up so that you can request books from any library, not just your own. This was really helpful in my quest to healthy eating – my own library barely had any of the titles I wanted, but others did. I have a lot of reading to do!
- That my boyfriend couldn’t care less about sports. I hate to be a downer, but I am just not a football fan. R isn’t either, so I don’t have to suffer through the game =). I don’t mind a party atmosphere, and if I have to watch, you’ll mostly find me laughing at all the fights that break out, and the weird positions the players end up in. Is that horrible?
- Last Saturday alone! Our boss deemed the new girl ready to work Saturday’s with me. She got lucky as she’s getting a three-day weekend out of it. Saturday’s tend to be one of our busier days, so I’m just feeling pretty relieved. Even though she’s not completely up to speed on everything, having her answer the phones will be a huge help.
- It’s starting to warm up, I think. I’m not sure how long it will last, but it’s currently 32 degrees! I think most of us are getting sick of waking up to single digits and frost/snow on our cars. I’ve been using the cold as an excuse to not get outside as much, and I really can’t wait for it to be in the 40s again. In any case, at least sunlight is lasting longer! A week or so ago I noticed the sun wasn’t two minutes away from setting when I went to leave work. I don’t particularly like driving in the dark, and it leaves me a little more energized once I get home.
I hope you all have a wonderful weekend! To those of you going to parties, be safe and have lots of yummy food!