Hello everyone! Now that the news is out that we are moving later in April, I figured I would share some of our plans and hopes for the not-so-distant future.
It’s no secret that I haven’t been the biggest fan of living in a basement apartment. Just the other day, R and I awoke from a much needed nap to a bunch of banging around upstairs. I don’t think anyone appreciates that. They’ve also been having karaoke night every night. As a side note to anyone thinking of renting out a basement apartment, please have sound proofing methods in place!
Due to this annoyance, I would really like to be able to rent out a house. That wouldn’t be possible here, but we have seen some cute houses for around $800-900/month. We wouldn’t have to worry about people being noisy above us, and I think I could deal with possibly loud neighbors as long as it’s not right above my living space.
We are open to the possibility of an apartment complex, as there are three within five minutes of R’s job. My biggest worry is being on the first or second floor, though. I am really hoping that newer apartment complexes don’t have such thin walls. Unfortunately, we won’t know until we check things out.
The other big thing on my wishlist is windows! I really didn’t think the lack of sunlight would bother me, because I always had my shade drawn in my old room at my parents’ house. I guess you don’t realize how much it bothers you until the option is gone! Our tiny basement apartment windows don’t let much light in, and they are not situated in optimal locations for sunlight.
I would be happiest with sliding glass doors leading to an outside patio, since they let a lot of light in. I think our cats would really enjoy such a big space to look out to as well. They have been deprived of the outside world for a bit too long.
Price is obviously important – we are really hoping to score a place for $700-$900/month. I’d be open to looking at more expensive places if they include utilities, but it doesn’t seem like many down there do. I have no clue how expensive electric/gas/water is down there, so we are budgeting around $200.
So with those things aside, what else would I like in my ideal apartment/house rental? Here are a few items:
- A dishwasher. I don’t want to sound lazy, but we are horrible with washing the dishes, and we’re both sick of it. Plus, it’s not the same quality-clean that you get from putting things through the dishwasher. A lot of times glasses and bowls still look dirty after cleaning them with a sponge. It would really make our lives easier, and many apartments that we have been looking at offer one.
- A washer/dryer hook-up. Ideally, a washer and dryer would be included with the apartment, but we haven’t seen many places that offer this. It’s a huge selling point if it does, though. These are fairly expensive units, and we’re not sure if we’re quite ready to invest in them. There are also some apartment complexes that offer the option to rent them for around $40/month.
- A big kitchen with decent counter space. Our little kitchen has served us well, but we realized that we would like to upgrade. With the cats circling around us, R washing things, and me trying to cook, there’s not much room left in the areas where you can prepare food. I would be totally ecstatic if I could find a house rental with an island, but I’m not holding my breath on that one.
- A pantry in the kitchen would be nice as well. Right now, we have a lazy susan that stores a lot of stuff for us, and we love it! It’s such a cute aspect of our kitchen. I just want some dedicated space for food storage.
- Two bedrooms (and two bathrooms). I might be reaching for the stars on this one, and this is something we have become willing to compromise on. However, if my parents, grandma or friends would like to visit us, two bedrooms would be great to have. I would also really like it to double as an office space for myself, since I plan on trying to work from home. Having my desk in the living room leaves me prone to a lot of distractions when R has the TV on. If a space has 2 bedrooms and 1 bathroom, that’s all right.
- Proximity to R’s job. This is pretty important to us. I’ve mentioned this numerous times, but R’s car isn’t great on gas, and he wants to save up for another one. I think it’s a great idea to seek out places near his job, so that he could lessen the wear and tear on his car, or bike there. This would hopefully decrease his car insurance payments as well as even out our gas budget. Since we will be visiting my parents at least once a month, I have to account for that in gas.
- Near a park. I would love for our place to be near a park so that we have a nice area to go walking. We are really lacking in options right now, and I know we both want to be more active come summertime. Somewhere with a bike trail would be great, too.
- Open concept would be really nice. I think a lot of people are leaning toward open concept layouts these days. I’ve seen some kitchens completely walled off for no reason and it makes me feel claustrophobic.
- Deck/sunroom/patio. I would really like an outside space to unwind at the end of the day. We could sit outside and people watch, or talk over dinner. It seems like a lot of the apartments come with this. I’ve missed being able to go outside to get some fresh air – we don’t have any space in the backyard to ourselves.
In case you’re wondering, this is “my” wishlist because when asked, R says all he needs is a bedroom and bathroom. He is not picky at all. We’ve been borderline miserable here, and I want to make sure that this time, we make the right decision. We aren’t sure how long we will be staying in the area, and I definitely don’t want to make a habit of moving every year.
Because we’re still relatively new at this, and I only have my basement apartment experience to go on, I’m reaching out to you:
What do you love or hate about your apartment/house? What experiences have you had in apartment complexes? What do you think we should consider when looking?